Susan Petersen Inducted into International Society of Barristers in London, England
- April 26, 2018
- Comments Off on Susan Petersen Inducted into International Society of Barristers in London, England
APRIL 15, 2018 – The law firm of Petersen & Petersen is proud to announce that shareholder Susan E. Petersen is now an official Fellow in the International Society of Barristers. At its 2018 Annual Meeting in London, England, the organization inducted Attorney Petersen as one of its 33 new members, which included advocates from all over the United States, Canada, England, and Ireland.
The International Society of Barristers, established in 1966 and with a membership of approximately 450 trial lawyers nationally and internationally, was formed to recognize each era’s best advocates. Out of the 38,000+ practicing lawyers in Ohio, only 36 hold membership in this prestigious society. Petersen is only the seventh female in Ohio to be elected. The Society aims to join together to support these common goals:
• Retaining trial by jury in litigated matters;
• Improving advocacy under an adversary system;
• Recognizing advocacy as a distinct specialty, with the creation of proper standards for those holding themselves out as advocates;
• Abolishing animosity between counsel representing plaintiffs and defendants, replacing it with a recognition that all trial lawyers are advocates fully representing the rights of all clients;
• Encouraging and demanding ethical conduct by all involved in litigation – parties, witnesses, counsel and judges;
• Insisting that clients be represented by independent counsel owing their allegiance to the client; and
• Protecting the rights of citizens, the independence of the judiciary and the integrity of the Bar.
Membership is by invitation only which is proceeded by a rigorous screening process that considers the lawyer’s ability, experience, accomplishments and ethical standards as assessed by trial lawyers and judges.
The Society holds an annual meeting and publishes a quarterly journal of topics covered at the meeting and otherwise.
ABOUT SUSAN PETERSEN
In addition to the International Society, Ms. Petersen has served as a trustee for the Ohio Association for Justice since 2010, and as a board member for the Cleveland Academy of Trial Attorneys since 2005. She is a Past-President of the Ohio Women’s Bar Association, and a longtime member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum. She has been selected as one of “Ohio’s Top 100 Trial Lawyers” by the “National Association of Trial Lawyers” since 2011 and an Ohio “Super Lawyer” for the past six years. She earned a position as an elected member of the American Board of Trial Advocates in 2013.
Ms. Petersen graduated Magna Cum Laude from Youngstown State University with a B.A. in 1993, and Cleveland-Marshall College of Law in 1997. She is admitted to practice in Ohio, the U.S. District Courts of Ohio and The United States Supreme Court. She is a former on-air television news reporter and anchor, holding positions at WEWS-TV5 in Cleveland, WKBN-TV27 in Youngstown, and WTOV-News 9 in Steubenville, Ohio/Wheeling, West Virginia.
The practice at Petersen & Petersen is limited to the representation of everyday people whose rights have been violated, covering a wide range of personal injury and consumer protection cases. To learn more about the firm and Ms. Petersen, visit www.petersenlegal.com.