Susan Petersen, Attorney at Law, has the experience and resources to handle every type of personal injury case, from the most basic to the most complex. She works solely on behalf of injured people – never for corporations or insurance companies. If Susan agrees to take on your case, you can trust that she believes in your cause and will fight to get you justice.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
Cleveland-Marshall College of Law,
– High A in Legal Writing and Trial Advocacy Courses
– Editor, Cleveland State University Law Review
– Member, Moot Court Board of Governors
– Member, Order of the Barristers, a national honorary organization recognizing individual excellence in brief writing and oral advocacy
– Cleveland Marshall Alumni Scholarship Recipient
Youngstown State University,
Bachelor of Arts
– Graduated Magna Cum Laude
– Full Four Year Academic Scholarship Recipient
– Numerous Academic Scholarships
• Ohio Supreme Court, 1998
• United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio, 1999
• United States Supreme Court, 2012
Below are just some highlights of the results Susan Petersen has obtained for her clients:
• 2018 – $3.25 Million Medical Malpractice Loss of Limb Settlement Client claimed that the emergency room physicians failed to appropriately address the signs and symptoms of a life threatening blood clotting reaction, known as heparin induced thrombocytopenia. Instead, the woman was discharged to home only to return to the ER two days later with clots in both legs, lungs, and aorta. She claimed the delay in diagnosis and subsequent re-exposure to heparin during her admission resulted in the loss of her leg below the knee. The remaining terms of the settlement, including but not limited to the identity of the parties and the court in which the matter was pending, are confidential.
• 2016 – $1.5 Million Nursing Home Death Settlement
Nursing care was negligent and caused a greater than 75 year old woman’s death. Punitive damages were also alleged. The defendant nursing provider disputed the allegations. The remaining terms of the settlement, including but not limited to the identity of the parties and Court in which the matter was pending, are confidential.
• 2015 – $17 Million Natural Gas Explosion Settlement on Day 5 of Trial
Home explosion and fire caused by uncapped line following negligent retail appliance delivery, death of 87 year old man and emotional injuries to 89 year old widow.
• 2015 – $2 Million Wrongful Death/Negligent Prescription Settlement
Physician negligence for off-label cosmetic prescription which resulted in fatal cardiac arrhythmia.
• 2014 – $675,000 Combined Jury Verdict and Settlement
Breach of contract by Client’s own auto insurer in failing to offer reasonable value of his permanent hand injuries – underinsured motorist claim
• 2013 – $1.33 Million Combined Settlement
Motor Vehicle Negligence /Insurance Agent Errors & Omissions
Negligence of other driver / failure of agent to procure umbrella policy relative to motorcycle passenger fatality and driver injury
• 2013 – $920,972.50 Wrongful Death Settlement
Negligent clearance by nurse anesthetist to elective cosmetic surgery resulting in cardiac death
• 2012 – $1.635 Million Nursing Home Wrongful Death Settlement
Failure to diagnose and treat sepsis
• 2011 – $490,000 Automobile Negligence Combined Verdict and
Prejudgment Interest Settlement
Soft tissue neck injury
• 2009 – $710,000 Nursing Negligence/Medical Malpractice Settlement
• 2008 – $2.15 Million Automobile Negligence Settlement
Traumatic brain injury to pedestrian
• 2007 – Confidential Wrongful Death/Product Liability Settlement
against General Motors
Defective fuel tank design
• 2007 – $1.45 Million Product Liability Settlement
Defective consumer equipment
• 2006 – $1.2 Million Wrongful Death/Medical Malpractice
Gastric Bypass Settlement
For more details, visit our results page by clicking here.
PROFESSIONAL HONORS AND AWARDS
• Ranked by Martindale Hubble as an AV Preeminent attorney – a peer ranking of the highest level of professional excellence
• Inducted into the International Society of Barristers in ceremony in London, England. Membership is by invitation only which is proceeded by a rigorous screening process that considers the lawyer’s ability, experience, accomplishments, and ethical standards as assessed by trial lawyers and judges. Out of the 38,000 lawyers in Ohio, only 36 hold membership with Petersen being inducted as the seventh woman statewide, 2018 to present
• Elected member of the American Board of Trial Advocates, 2013 to present – an invitation only organization where members must have at least five years of active experience as a trial lawyer and have tried at least 10 civil jury trials to conclusion and possess additional litigation experience, as well as virtues of civility, integrity and professionalism
• Selected as one of “Ohio’s Top 100 Trial Lawyers” by the National Association of Trial Lawyers, an organization composed of The Top 100 Trial Lawyers from each state, 2011 to present
• Selected as one of the Best Personal Injury Lawyers in Cleveland, 2016, by Expertise who looked at 276 personal injury firms and rated the top 20 based upon reputation, credibility, experience, availability, professionalism, and engagement with clients.
• Received the highest ranking available, “10 Superb” in the area of personal injury, by AVVO, a legal marketplace service.
• Selected as one of “Ohio’s Top 100 Trial Lawyers” by the National Selected as one of “Ohio’s Top 100 Trial Lawyers” by the National
• Selected as an “Ohio Super Lawyer” Law & Politics Magazine, 2013 to present – the top 5 percent of attorneys in Ohio
• Selected as an “Ohio Super Lawyers – Rising Star,” Law & Politics Magazine, 2007, 2011 – the top 2.5 percent of attorneys age 40 and under in Ohio
• Featured in YSU Magazine, 2010, “Alumni Spotlight”
• Featured in November 2008 Crain’s Cleveland Business Magazine Class of “Forty under 40” – a salute to Northeast Ohio’s most influential people under the age of 40
• One of eight lawyers nationally to be a featured guest on American Airlines Radio Network and Sky Radio Network’s “Salute to Women in Leadership” Show, which was spotlighted in a 2008 edition of Time Magazine and began airing in 2009
• Featured in News Herald, 2007, “Lawyer Turned Leader”
• Featured in Cleveland Business Connects Magazine, 2007, “Above the Bar”
• Invited associate member of the William K. Thomas Inn of Court, 2001 – 2002, an organization intended to foster the highest standards of professionalism and ethics among and between the bench and the bar.
• Producer/Writer of “Remember the Ladies” – A Salute to Cleveland-Marshall College of Law’s First Female Graduates,” a video documentary, 2000
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
• Million Dollar Advocates Forum, (The Top Trial Lawyers in America), 2006 – present
Membership is limited to attorneys who have won million and multi-million dollar verdicts, awards and settlements.
• Ohio Women’s Bar Association, 2004 – Present
President, 2007 – 2008
Vice President, 2006 – 2007
Secretary, 2005 – 2006
• Cleveland Academy of Trial Lawyers (CATA), 2000 – Present
Board of Directors, 2005 – Present
• Ohio Association for Justice (OAJ), Member, 2000 – Present
Board of Trustees, 2010 – Present
• American Association for Justice (AAJ), 2000 – Present
• Cuyahoga Metropolitan Bar Association, 2000 – Present
Young Lawyers Committee, 2000 – 2003
• Geauga County Bar Association, 2003 – Present
• Ohio State Bar Association, 2000 – Present
• Cleveland-Marshall College of Law Visiting Committee, 2008 – Present
PAST EMPLOYMENT POSITIONS
• WEWS Channel 5, Cleveland, On-Air Television Reporter and Anchor
• WKBN-TV 27, Youngstown, On-Air Television Reporter
• WTOV-News 9, Steubenville/Wheeling, West Virginia, On-Air Television Reporter and Anchor
Please Note: The results listed were obtained for clients based upon the specific facts of each case. The results do not guarantee results in cases with similar facts, nor should this be relied upon to suggest that your potential claim will result in an outcome that is similar in nature.